Monday, June 10, 2013

"My Brain O'er Floweth"

Thank you so much for your dearElders! Whats superdeedooper awesome is that they print them out and we get them usually a day after you send them but we just have to wait for Friday to write back, so PLEASE keep 'em a'comin!!! I love them ever so much. 
 
Insert Courtney's Note: Dear Elder is a mailing system that allows you to type a letter online, then submit it to the Missionary Training Center. The administration there prints off the e-mail, puts it in an envelope and delivers it to the missionary of your choice. If you would like to send something to Carley, here is the information you need.
 
Under "Send Stuff" Click on "Provo MTC (Free)"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fill out the selected fields with the information in the picture left (unit #, mission code, departure date)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Type your letter and click "Send"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now, back to Carley's letter...
 
So I have been here for over a week now. WOO! only 8 more to go!! Actually, I have a feeling the time is going to fly by so I better git goin. So funny thing about being here in the Utah, I have become that stereotypical Texan that won't stop gabbing about their state's supreme awesomeness. I shall not be ashamed of the...state of Texas *(and the gospel of Christ). I mean it's fairly easy for people to catch, what with my Texas watch and Texas key-chain and the classic "y'all" that seems to cause some inquiry. Anywho, this past week has been amazing and crazy. I feel like Im always going, but I LOVE it. Its like when you're on a treadmill and you bump up the speed and your hauling it and you're verging on just biting it but your will keeps you going and you're proud of yourself every moment you do. That's what its like.
 
I wake up at around 5 a.m. and am constantly moving until bed. I've never thought of myself as an "early bird" but I like the jump start to the day. Who woulda thunk? They have sisters-only workout classes in the mornings at 6 a.m. and I love those! Yoga, kick-boxing, pilates, and toning. It's no zumba...but I'll take it ;). I have sincerely loved the sisters in my zone, they are so motivating and inspirational. They are all from the states but are going to those countries mentioned in my last letter if I didn't make that clear. I have made such wonderful friendships here and its such a blessing. We laugh all the time, and its so awesome that they all have the same foundation of faith and focus on their future that I do. 
 
The language is coming along... We have taught 5 lessons in Czech to a PI (not personal investigator, Progressing Investigator) named Honza. (insert Courtney's note: Carley and her fellow "sestri" are role-playing with a fake investigator...it took me a minute to realize this). We told him, Honza, of his Heavenly Father's love for him, how to pray to receive answers to his questions, the importance of his Savior, Jesus Christ, and taught him the importance of baptism. We would need to continue teaching him, but now come to find out, we are getting TWO new investigators and Honza is now going to be our teacher. So he'll get to explain all the wonderful silly mistakes we made. Yay. I'd like to say they were smooth and easy sailing, but alas, this is not the case. It was more like czhenglish. I'm still getting the hang of things and work out the kinks but I am getting more and more comfortable with the schedule and my companions. 
 
When I speak czech I may or may not sound like I'm beat-boxing. Oh!! and exciting news. "No" is the shortened form of "Ano" which means yes... that's gonna throw me for a loop a bit. I really love my class, the elders (starsi) are hysterical. They're so dynamic and excited to work and learn. But they're kind of like puppies so they have a tendency to lose their focus. One elder's birthday was today and we sang to him in the laundry room. He starts every sentence with "Little known fact..." (Cliff Claybon, lol) and then there's another elder who is an actor. His role model; Jim Carrey. He recited and acted out the Grinch yesterday so we found a loophole to watching TV, lol. Our teachers are great, Sestra W. who is super nice and sweet and a tiny thing...yet plays rugby? And Bratr M. who's cool too. (insert Courtney's note: I removed full last names for their privacy)
 
It's been a whirlwind of an adventure so far and I haven't even left the states yet...what??
But I hope to make the absolute most of this time. I have found so much peace and comfort and strength in prayer. Never have I found it so integral in my day , but it seems like I never stop all day. It's continuous. Because I have never needed it this much I think. Sometimes I get a bit down on myself about the language and want to pound my head against the wall repeatedly (which not gonna lie...I may occassionally do.) But they come in waves and it seems like each time it crashes on my shore I get a bit stronger more able to withstand the next one. And I know that it is through the Lord that I can do this. 
 
Alma 29:8-9 (insert Courtney's note: Alma is a book of scripture in the Book of Mormon, like how Matthew is a book in the New Testament. Mormons believe in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon)
 
For behold, the Lord doth agrant unto ball nations, of their own nation and ctongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he dseeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.
 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do anot bglory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

Studying the scriptures has been such a blessing too, with things I didn't realize that I needed more than I did. 

This is the Provo, Utah, temple. There are 141 operating temples world-wide.


Today I went to the temple which gave me even more peace as usual. (insert Courtney's note here: for Latter-day Saints, the temple is the most sacred place on earth. If you want to learn about what goes on in the temple, you can learn more here: https://www.lds.org/church/temples/why-we-build-temples/what-happens-in-temples?lang=eng)

A lot of the people from my zone have taken or speak fluent, German. So everyone calls me Sestra Shern. Like it would be pronounced in Germany. Kinda interesting but I have quickly grown accostumed to it and respond to it now. 

Overall, its been a great week and I am excited to include more specific information when I get better about using my measely hour of email time. 
Thankyou to everyone for your prayers and support, I love and miss Y'ALL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment