Sunday, July 14, 2013

Speaking Czenglish

Ahoj!

Another week here at the ol' MTC... the first 3 weeks were as slow as molasses (shout out to my bro Dallas), then they started gaining speed ("Ramming Speed!"), and now I'm just in this weird surreal feeling semi-believing that I will be leaving in about 2 weeks...Eeks!! Ya. That did sorta rhyme. So last Sunday I was called as a new Sister Trainer Leader for my zone alongside Sister Hendricks (love her!!) and President Jones (the branch president) said I will be serving until I leave. Woo! I love the opportunity already, and I am fairly positively definitely sure I have already mentioned it, but... I LOVE the sisters here! 

I miss Sister Paxton terribly, she left earlier this week for Bulgaria. Its like the Agatha Christy Novel, "And Then There Were None" (shout out to my bro in law Cam). 

I'm so excited to get to the Czech Republic already!!! I have seen so many people come and go, I am ready for some new sights and experiences and just the opportunity to get to the work!! Not that it's not great here...but you know. 

There was a guy at the street corner the other day when we were on our way back from gym-time (our district plays sand-volleyball together on Thursdays) and there were two men with carrying large crosses...guess what. They weren't Mormon, go figure. So we're waiting for the cross-walk thingy to light up for all of us to cross (don't ask me how many of us were there....no idea. that hasn't improved with my being here)...anywho...He starts talking at us...not to us. at us. Not saying anything terribly mean or anything, but asserting his beliefs on the role of Jesus Christ. I found it rather comical. 

He said, "Do you believe in Jesus Christ?!". Shoulda had a V8 moment. Duh! (Members of the CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints). In a situation like that we all just agreed with some of the things he said and stayed quiet for the other things (i.e. that as long as we believe in Jesus Christ we would be saved...but we, as Mormons, believe that it is after all we can do (faith + works) so we can receive a remission of our sins and we should strive to be obedient as well). I found it funny only because he obviously didn't really know anything about what we believed, so when we agreed with some of the things he said, it threw him off. I think his plan back-fired a little. 

Its been raining here a bit, which I don't care for but oh well, we're inside a lot anyways. We had an awesome TRC last night (Training Resource Center), we taught one 40 minute lesson, rather than 2 twenty minute ones. The girl's name was Laura and she had served in the Czech Republic, we gave her a lesson on Repentance (as a means of aligning our will with the Lord's), Trusting in the Lord, and finding answers to our questions in the Scriptures and we challenged her to read Enos in the Book of Mormon. (Insert Courtney's note: the book of Enos tells the following story--Enos prays mightily and gains a remission of his sins—The voice of the Lord comes into his mind, promising salvation for the Lamanites in a future day—The Nephites sought to reclaim the Lamanites—Enos rejoices in his Redeemer. About 420 B.C. You can read it here: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/enos/1?lang=eng) It was a great lesson, it is amazing how much easier it is to speak the language when the Spirit is there. It's as if it loosens the gears in my head and I can just say what I need to say. I remember words I had glanced at before, its awesome. 

Outside of Lessons, we try to "speak your language" (SYL) a lot. So I have gotten into a good habit of using "Czenglish", so when I get back when I say "no" I will likely mean yes. The cases may kill me though. They're ridiculous, it is a pretty tough language. But I love how it sounds now! I won't sound like some member of the KGB I promise! At least, I hope not... hm. Something would have gone terribly wrong. I'll prolly be an even better beat-boxer! Like, I might just advance from the "boots n' cats" level..ha. There sure are a lot of consonants but hey. I wouldn't have to buy as many vowels on Wheel of Fortune, right? positives. Next Friday I get my travel plans.... (insert crazy, wild dancing) I will let you know ASAP what they are at that time. Have no fear. I am super-dee-dooper excited. Thank you all for your love and support! I am so grateful and I miss you all so much! Letters to come in the mail soon with more info! 


Me and sister Paxton and the rest of the Bulgarians before they left (Sister P was a solo sister so I was sometimes here "companion") 

No comments:

Post a Comment