Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Brnotes from this week

Wow!

(She was a day late on her e-mail, we didn't know why we didn't get an e-mail on Aug. 19, but we were worried about her all day, then we heard from her on the 20th morning)

SO. This week has already started off crazy. Yesterday we went to Praha for our Pday so that my companion could do her visa stuff...we had to wake up at 2am in order to make our 4:30am train so we could get to Prague...bleh! Some VERY interesting people out at that time of night/day. I swear we sat next to a mercenary or assassin on the train. Never want to do that again. But I do feel safe Mom, so don't worry! We spent the majority of the day there but at least I got some more pics as we were walking around...not exactly how I would have liked to spend the day but whatevs, do what you gotta do.

I love my companion Sister Woody (I'm Sister Buzz haha). We have had a hard week this week, not going to lie. People not showing up to appointments or church, but this week will be better! Fingers and arms crossed! We had an awesome experience contacting though, we had been just getting immediately shrugged off by people, well we saw a lady on a bench and felt we should talk to her, so we approached and she said "Nerozumim" which is semi common for people to say even if they do understand but just want to make you feel stupid, hearing your accent. Anywho, so we almost kinda deflated a little hearing this but then she said, I don't speak Czech. Woohoo! Neither do we really! ha. She was from Algeria and spoke french and some
English. Well let me just dig back into my mental-file of french from high-school and conjure up a sentence...I fumbled through some stuff (a miracle in itself, I guess gift of tongues doesn't always apply to your specific language). Then we talked to her for a good while in English and taught her a lot, closed with a prayer and are scheduled to meet with her and her husband tonight with Pavla from the ward, who converted a year ago and speaks fluent french. So praying that goes well!

I really love the ward here, they are so sweet and some have given up so much to be members and are really true pioneers of the faith here. I just love them. We have made a lot of great contacts and have more lessons scheduled for this week. I did a solo-contact during our singing-display in the namesti (we sing hymns in the town square while half of the district contacts). I felt like I just needed to ask how she was doing and she said "terribly" which is uncommon for people to announce, even in America, if someone asks how you are you just usually respond with something positive, especially to a stranger, and move on. And people in the Czech Republic are not used to and distrust, people asking them random questions (makes our job fun haha). We began talking and I was just helped so much with the spirit, like never before, truly divine help right then. I was able to understand and speak with her about the purpose of our Savior and His atonement. She gave her number and we hope to meet with her soon, she is sooo sweet.

We have been helping the new Senior couple in Brno, the Archibalds from Idaho, get adjusted and navigate around the city. Helping them out as much as we can, but they'll get the hang of things quickly I think. They're an awesome couple and the ward and missionaries already love them. I really respect the senior couples here, they add so much depth to the missionary-work with their life-experiences. The Martins were awesome and very involved in the ward and will be missed for sure. They did indeed have pics of me in glasses. Cat's out of the bag, I got glasses!


Sestra Woodworth and Sestra Schoen (they both got glasses that look like Sister W's). My parents were e-mailed a picture where Carley was wearing a similar pair of glasses, so they, of course, were first worried she had been to an eye doctor and needed prescription glasses, so they asked her about it. She responded with the information below. Haha.

I have always wanted them (they make people look smarter I think...) and my companion had to get some (she had really bad vision) and while we were there I may have caved...my first and last expenditure for a long time I promise, in the Czech Republic. I know it's silly and I know mom, you don't approve. I feel like I am maturing a lot in many ways...but ya, I'm still the same ol' random Carley who has an eclectic, strange taste. Yay?! I really like them, and now everyone in our district has glasses! (we're visionary missionaries).

I miss y'all! Have fun in California and I will pray you will get on the show/have a super amazing time!! :) Oh and funny thing. Last night we were coming back from the church building and got off the tram and it is POURING down rain. So we sprint back to our apartment, completely drenched and sopping but we laughed the entire way and it is one of the highlights to my day actually. lol  Thank you for your support! The prayers help fuel me, so keep 'em coming! These weeks have flown by and I know I need to make the most of every day.


She found her favorite car ever in the Czech Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment