Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Time in the Czech Republic

Hello all! So I will try to download quickly some of the events of this week, but quite honestly I don't know how it happens but every week I walk into the emailing place (she told us on the phone that it's like a cyber cafe) it is like the veil all over again and I forget all the things I told myself to remember to include in my email (if you're LDS you get this reference...if not, we as Mormons believe in figurative veil that exists between our world here on earth and our pre-earth life in heaven).
"Meeting some of the locals...not quite what you expected, eh? There is some weird halloween/christmas holiday here and they had some people dressed up like that they go around and scare the kids...it is kinda interesting lol."
I guess I could just write them down... but that is much too sensical and it takes too much time. So please bare with my scatterbrainedness. I am still loving the MB (Mlada Boleslav). It is proving to be a city of miracles and adventures for sure. I just adore Sister Hicken, we get along great and keep each other pumped for the work. This week we were trying to get in contact with all the less-active members here, spending a lot of our days traipsing all over town trying to find where they live so we could give them cookies (made by Sister H. who really is a master with all things in the kitchen, thank goodness seeing as I am the antithesis haa) and an invite to our Christmas Party and Concert. Which btdubs, is an awful idea because I will be singing a good majority...bleh. Pray for me! But cool thing, they hooked me up with a flute here again so I will be doing some accompaniments..accompianaments...accompmenamenaments....gah. I can't spell anymore! I am just a TAD nervous, but all's well, that's why we have prayer and paper bags to breath into right? 

In Prague for a baptism
Back to my original point. Finding where people live here is crazy impossible. The numbers on the houses and panelaks (apt buildings) have absolutely no rhyme nor reason to their order. It is usually the order the buildings were built -_- And walking everywhere proved quite the good workout, but given the disparity between amount of cookies made and those delivered...walking was great. We also contacted some awesome people in the meantime. I thought they were like Harry Potter houses, they would only pop up if the address was written down by someone else. But great news, we found them! So all is well in Zion...or Mlada Boleslav.


Also, we have been trying to get some service opportunities rollin' here and went to the Magistrat Mesta or Town Hall offices basically, and they were closed. darn. So we felt we should just contact on service opportunities with people. So we walk towards the large tree in the Old Town Square and I approach this elderly woman with her grandson, she is busy with him looking at the large Christmas tree but I felt like I needed to talk to her so I come up and ask her if she knows anywhere we can do service work. She looks at my name tag and squints then runs over to her grandson who has walked a little bit away, so I follow her over, now I am kind of appalled by my nuisancy (prolly not a word) but finally she begins talking to me and says, "funny you should ask me, I used to work organizing all those things." She was so excited to help us, she put her grandson in the stroller and walked with us all the way over to this information place we had no idea existed, we walk in the building and she walks into the back offices tells them she has some foreign missionaries here who need help and gets all of them out of their seats and they come out to organize some things for us. We spoke with the main boss guy there and he actually spoke English so that was cool. So we are fully inundated with opportunities for charity work here in MB and are working-out the specifics of what hours we want to work at the old-folks home and on Christmas day all the service we want to do. Super stoked! The Lord really will provide a way for us to accomplish what he wants of us.

We have been so blessed here and I am so excited to see this place grow in the knowledge of the Savior. This is such a special time, and I am so grateful I have the opportunity to give the gift of my efforts to my Savior for His birthday. I am so grateful for the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and for my wonderful family and upbringing with these truths, those things I have realized are my greatest prize and treasure. Serving others truly helps us understand the Savior's love. The best gift we can give others is our witness and example through our actions that we know that can taste the sweetness of everlasting redemption and life. The Savior, Jesus Christ is our grandest and most valuable gift, the effects of His life and His death are everlasting and infinite because although we are imperfect, we have the door opened to us to receive all that our Heavenly Father wants for us. It is only our choice to follow and accept His ways. I love you all and keep y'all in my prayers :)
Veselé Vanoce!!!! Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment